Choosing a Reputable Contractor
If you are ready to build a new home or remodel an existing one, you are probably wondering what to look for in a responsible contractor. Here are some tips!
- Call the Lehigh Valley Builders Association at 610.432.4101 for help in selecting a contractor or check out our website at
- Ask a contractor if he belongs to the Lehigh Valley Builders Association
- Take your time. Most problems occur when consumers fail to investigate contractors carefully before hiring them
- Ask for an insurance certificate to verify current workers' compensation and general liability insurance
- Ask for references. Talk with others who have had work done by the contractor about his capabilities and quality or workmanship
- Ask to see the contractor's work. Check for yourself the quality of work.
- Make sure the contractor has a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers
- Incorporate any warranties, guarantees or other promises in your written contract. Always insist on a written contract and written change orders
- Be specific about starting and completion dates. Some delays are unavoidable and beyond the contractor's control
- Beware of an unusually low bid or low advertised price. If a contractor cannot pay for labor, materials and overhead, you are both in trouble
- Select a contractor you are comfortable with - one who understands your tastes and needs and with whom you can communicate easily